Sunday, July 6, 2008

Witnessing and Islam

Today we went to the seafront and passed out a few gospel tracts. Cyprus is filled with workers from India, Ceylon and Banlgadesh. These folks speak their native language and often times pretty decent English. As we were roaming around giving out tracts to those who would accept them, I came upon a man from Bangladesh. This man was a Muslim. I asked him if he was good enough for heaven. He then started on explaining how Christianity was "not relevant" anymore. He made this claim based on the worldliness of "Western Culture" that he said Christianity accepts without any reservation.

I tried my best to steer him back to his own sinful condition and his need of redemption through Christ, but he continued to complain about the sinful culture that indeed does surround us in this 21st century world. Before we parted I was able to explain how true Bibllical Christianity is all about Grace and the redemption that comes only through Christ's blood as opposed to the cold, negative religious system of Islam which is based on keeping very strict laws and religious customs. I tried to show him that a true Christian won't be affected by the worldliness of "Western Culture". I don't think I got very far with him. I pray, though, for the seed that was planted.

Sadly, I had to agree with part of what this Bengali man was saying. Western Culture has done great damage to the standing of true Biblical Christianity. In an attempt to reach out and get "in touch" with the sinner, I'm afraid American Christians have let the world affect their own personal walk with Christ. Don't get me wrong, we need to take the gospel to every creature, no matter who they are. But, must we act like the "world" to do this? Shouldn't the righteousness of Christ have a life-changing impact on the lives of sinners who are converted? These are questions I hope all of you will contemplate. Let us reach the world for Christ, but at the same time, let us preach a life-changing gospel that puts to death the sinful lifestyles of a lost world.

I John 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him

1 comment:

BlackBaron said...

Hey Craig.

Sounds like the man your were talking with was using guilt by association in order to ignore the truth claims presented by Christianity. Next time, you might try asking if it would be fair of us to judge all of Islam based on the actions of one segment of professing followers. We have to examine it's claims.

Is witnessing legal in that part of the world?